Friday, October 11, 2013

My Thoughts on Cate Hutson’s “How I Learned to Love Traveling Solo”

            I enjoyed reading Cate Hutson’s blog.  It was well written in a conversational way, as if she were sharing advice with a dear friend.  Her experiences and perspective on the topic was well thought out and straight to the point.  I like how that she not only gave little helpful hints but she also gave reasons behind why she felt that way with a little back story on actual experiences.

            In relation to our first unit of this quarter, it shows yet another style of writing.  As the fifth educational narrative, I think it is the most casual.  The way she used subheadings gave a little taste as to what she was going to talk about next.  It also gave a welcomed break while reading.  As a new “subject” approached, it gave me a small opportunity to breathe and ponder what I just read before.  It also lends to the opportunity to quickly scan the blog and go back to previously read material if I want to reread certain passages.

            Of all the examples we were presented in this class so far, this one is the one I like the most.  I also appreciate that it was short.  I find that shorter stories are less daunting, especially when it relates to choosing which blogs to read.

2 comments:

  1. Great observations about the way readers respond to subheadings! Do you plan to use them in your Ed. Nar.?

    ReplyDelete
  2. You read my mind. In class that other day, I told you how difficult starting to write the first formal paper was for me. I think using subheadings will make it easier to write and connect all my "little parts" under the title. Thank you Dr. Begert.

    ReplyDelete